Have a gander at my tried & tested recipes
Bougie Bruschetta (Veggie)
- Half of a baguette (If you don’t have this, 2 slices of bread is perfectly fine J)
- 1 thinly sliced garlic clove (1/2 teaspoon of garlic paste if you don’t have it or none if your not a fan)
- 3 ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- Hand full of Lettuce or Spinach (choose your preference)
- Heaped teaspoon of Paprika
- Balsamic Vinegar (If you got anything with pickles in your fridge or cupboard, use this)
- Olive oil (Any other oil is fine too)
- Veggie: 4 slices of halloumi cheese Vegan option: 4 slices of tofu Pescatarian option: ½ tin of tuna and 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise/salad cream
- ½ onion (Sliced)
- Half a Courgette (Sliced) *If you are not a fan of courgette slice half a sweet pepper or slice 5 cupped mushrooms
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Pre-heat your oven at 300°F/150°C degrees/ Gas mark 2
- Place your tomatoes in a bowl. Add a bit of garlic, pinch of salt and pepper, lettuce/spinach mix with a spoon and leave bowl to one side. Add a dash of vinegar
If you don’t have vinegar do you have pickles in your fridge? Use a teaspoon of that to add some flavour
- Prep your bread and your serving plate
Baguette: Please cut your baguette in half
Bread: Get a slice ready and place in your toaster (don’t turn it on yet)
- Get your 4 slices of halloumi or tofu on a plate and season with pinch of pepper and a pinch of paprika.
- Heat up a pan on your hob at a medium heat and drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil and move it around so the base of the pan is covered.
Please ask kids to be careful and move away from hob and oven.
- Add the halloumi or tofu slices onto the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side
- Once the halloumi/tofu cooked, place them back on the same plate you used to season. Put hob on a low heat
- Put the drain the tomato sauce from the bowl and add this to the sliced onion and courgettes. If making this with tuna add a few drops of the tomato water to your tuna. If a fan of mayonnaise or salad cream add a teaspoon of this and mix
- If cooking with children please ask them to be careful near the hob. Get them to get to use their hands to tear the basil into the bowl with the tomatoes gently mix the bowl.
- Add the rest of your access tomato water to your sliced onions and courgette (or sliced sweet pepper or sliced mushrooms)
- Turn your oven off and get your bread ready!
Baguette: pop your bread in the oven
Bread: Turn on the toaster and leave it in for 4 minutes (dial number 4 on toaster)
- Turn you hob on a medium heat and add the sliced vegetables stir until brown 5 minutes.
- Turn your oven off or toaster off and pop your bread on a plate. Put the tomato and lettuce/ spinach on your bread slices
- Now add your pan fried vegetables and place your halloumi /tofu/tuna topping on top
- Optional Sweet Chilli Sauce Drizzle a little top
You Cheeky Chickpea
These are a nice alternative for nuts and a great snack during them days where you work from home
- 1 tin of chickpeas drained
Please Note: If you vegan and fancy making cookies PLEASE do not get rid of the chickpea water. This is a great egg replacement for baking can be stored in your fridge for a week)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 clove of garlic (a teaspoon of garlic paste will do)
Optional Extra Seasoning:
1 Teaspoon Cayanne Pepper
2 Teaspoons Chilli Flakes Pepper
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoon of honey (Substation: Maple syrup or Agave Nectar)
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (Substation: Any oil OR Coconut oil)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
1 Teaspoon Chilli Flakes Pepper
Grease proof paper
- Pre-heat ovento 450°F/230°C/gas mark 8
- Drain chickpeas (keep chickpea water if vegan/planning on baking) If possible, discard any loose skins from the outside of the chickpeas.
- Pop a pan on a medium heat and add the drained chickpeas, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and thyme lightly toss the chickpeas until they are well coated for 2-4 minutes
- Add the chickpeas onto a baking tray and bake for 35 mins
- Get a bowl and add honey/honey substation) lemon juice, olive oil/ oil and a pinch of salt and pepper (Add the optional Chilli Flakes Pepper) and mix well
- I would start checking at 20 minutes, but it can take up to 30 minutes for them to become really crisp.
- Remove from the oven and, while the chickpeas are still warm, toss with 2 pinches of paprika and some of your drizzle your dressing on top
- Done! Your roasted chickpeas are ready to eat. All you need to do is pop them into a bowl
- This is a great base for making home-made hummus! Once you have roasted your chickpeas add them to blender along with 2-4 tablespoons (30-60ml) of Tahini a juice of 1 lemon!
- Could leave the extra dressing for a salad
- If you have any chickpeas left over add them into a salad Chickpeas can last up to a week in fridge stored in an air tight container.
Quick….Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Makes up to 12 cookies
- ½ cup granulated sugar(100 g)
- ¾ cup brown sugar(165 g), packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup salted or unsalted butter (Vegan option Coconut oil) (115 g)
- 1 egg (Vegan option 3 full tablespoons of chickpea water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Substation: Honey, Maple Syrup)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour(155 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 oz milk(Vegan option: Soya milk) or a packet of chocolate chips (100g)
- 4 oz dark chocolate bar (120 g), or your preference
Ice cream of choice
- Preheat oven to 400°F /200°C/Gas mark 6.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and leave to one side
- Get a small pan and melt the butter/oil on a low heat (option add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, salt, and melted butter until a paste forms with no lumps.
- Fun bit to grab your chocolate bar of choice and give it a whack 5-8 times until all sides feel broken and if you have milk leave them to soak in milk.
- Whisk in the egg (or 3 tablespoons of chickpea water), beating until light ribbons fall off the whisk and remain for a short while before falling back into the mixture.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda, then fold the mixture with a spatula (Be careful not to over mix, which would cause the gluten in the flour to toughen resulting in cakier cookies).
- Fold in the chocolate chunks (and your packet of chocolate chips) PLEASE DO NOT ADD MILK TO YOUR COOKIE DOUGH
- Scoop your cookie dough with an ice-cream scoop or spoon onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Try to leave leaving at least 4 inches (10 cm) of space between cookies and 2 inches (5 cm) of space from the edges of the pan so that the cookies can spread evenly.
- Bake for 6-10 minutes, or until the edges have started to barely brown.
- If you have ice cream now the time to take it out of the freezer
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes and Enjoy!
- For an extra treat…grab 2 cookies and place and large ice cream in the middle. To make it into a cookie sandwich
- Not in a rush? The cookie dough tastes better if you leave it in fridge for 2 to 24 hours takes more toffee like and doesn’t spread as much in the baking tray
- Instead of adding chocolate chips add your favourite chocolate bar instead! This recipe with M&Ms, Smarties, Daim Bar….